Saturday, August 23, 2008

How Cocaine Feels...

Speaking with a well documented coke-fiend (one step higher than your standard coke-head), I asked him what it felt like to snort that first hit of angel dust. Roughly and from memory:

“Imagine walking to your mailbox and you notice a large, red envelope. You open the envelope and inside is a winning lottery ticket. You’ve just won $100 million! That rush that you feel for the first 10 seconds spread out over 4-5 hrs is coke. “
Almost makes you want to try the stuff, huh? He continued:

“Now you look around and notice that all your neighbors have also won the lotto. Everyone is happy and hugging and kissing and listening to loud House music. That is a coke party.”

The things I sacrificed by going to med school. I did learn about, and even see firsthand, many young people presenting with stroke, heart attack or cardiomyopathy related to cocaine use. I’ve seen some overdoses that resulted in death for patients younger than me.

After using all these a number of meds to treat a variety of illnesses, I often wondered what it would feel like to have a large dose of IV lasix or valium. Or a giant dose of miralax. Kinda gross, but it still makes me wonder. Given the hypothetical that I could use any drug consequence free (legal and health wise) I would probably choose LSD. I have a soft spot in my heart for hallucinogens. Maybe I’d use anabolic steroids, it’d be cool to get all ripped like Arnold. But drugs are never consequence free in real life. Until that changes, I'll have to stick to my weekly lotto ticket.

No comments: