Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Breaking up the band...



A bum. I never would've guessed it but I am a 29 year old bum. After spending the past 11 years in college, medical school and residency it all cumulates in me mastering Guitar Hero on my friend's leather couch at 4am fueled only by White Castles, Pabst Blue Ribbon and my own gray determination to avoid productivity in this world. I won't try to explain why I'm here or the course that has delivered me. But I'm trying to get things back in order. More structured and more 'normal'. People often say to not worry about being normal and to just be yourself. And while being "me" has proven virtuosity at the use of a plastic, faux guitar I need to grow up.



I know many who swear that they'll never grow up. I commend them on their efforts but eventually it'd be nice to own a home. Or go on a vacation to Europe. Kids don't do shit like that, at least not without their parents money; and at 29 it's way past starting to sound pathetic. For the sake of redundancy; I do need to grow up.

It's not original to state the distinction between maturation and growing up, but just for the taste of it: I like cartoons. I eat Lucky Charms and Count Chocula. I wear a mitt to baseball games. I like "toilet humor" and will laugh if someone farts. I play video games, but not obsessively (aside from Guitar Hero, as noted above). I like the movie "The Goonies".

These proclivities are not likely to change. But I do need to start being more responsible. So this is largely cathartic for me. I need to put down this stupid, black guitar with the multi-colored buttons and complete the paper work for my medical license. I used to be a really good doctor, it hasn't even been a year. And I'm still a good doctor, only now I can play "Welcome to the Jungle" on Expert mode and absolutely crush the solo.

No comments: