Thursday, March 5, 2009

Home Schooling my Niece

Teddy, the 13 year-old son of my neighbor, is the only kid who calls me “Dr. Roo”. I saw him getting the mail in a wizard’s outfit ala Mickey Mouse from Fantasia.

“What’s up, Ted?” I inquired.

“I’m not Ted! I'm arc-knight Sindelore w/ a class 5 wizard’s mage” Then he made a “wooshing” sound effect and ran into his home. He was wearing a cape. Is Teddy a nerd? Is he retarded? Perhaps developmentally delayed? No. Teddy is
Home Schooled!

My sister plans the same for my niece. This is me venting. Both of my sisters and I went to the same schools and we each have college degrees. There are classes in AP Muppets (or anything), a weight room nicer than my gym and a cafeteria w/ these chocolate chip cookies that rule. Plus there are tons of attractive, intelligent people there.

And they will want nothing to do w/ my niece once my sister is done “educating” her. I loved public school. That’s not to say I had it easy. I was a huge dork who received bimonthly ass kickings and no girl from my own school would touch me. I had plenty of friends who shared a similar fate. But we all turned out fine.

By the end of high school, no one was picking on me and I could almost talk normally w/ women my own age. When college ended, the opposite sex was no longer too intimidating. After grad school it all seemed like a big joke (my stupid insecurities and inconsequential, yet incessant worries).

I might’ve gotten a higher SAT score had I been home schooled, but I learned so much about life and myself by interacting w/ others. My sis fails to recognize this fact. Sure, I failed many times and faced rejection on a routine level… but that’s life, dude.

Which brings me to my point: Home schooling your child is like teaching your kid about sex by fucking them yourself in the basement. Little Melissa would certainly give better head if taught from her Mom and Dad to retract her teeth and cup the balls delicately. You could even teach her that “stroke and suck at the same time” technique you discovered at Jewish sleepover camp. Her reverse cowgirl would be unbeatable! She would be the most advanced little fucker in her age group.

Despite these pertinent skills Melissa would also be totally messed up. B/c in the end,kids need to learn some things on their own and you just have to trust them and the system that everything will work out. You can’t protect them forever and you can’t teach them everything yourself. If you truly believe that you can, you’re really just fucking them (basement optional).

No comments: