Sunday, December 7, 2008

Top 10 Best TV Music

This list is only considering my own childhood.. so basically the 80's. If you grew up in a different era: sorry, you lose. It's been said that a hallmark of a dying blog is when the author stops writing and starts posting clips or pictures. If that's the case, then send me to the morgue. But I figured that you'd need some supporting media to make the claim that a song is "the 4th best" of it's time, or whatever. Enough said. This is my list, and I'm sticking w/ it. Additionally, I did put quite a bit of effort and thought into formulating this list.

10.Golden Girls

And if you threw an orgy... and invited everyone you kneeeew! You would see, the biggest dick would be on me. And the balls attached would say: Thank you for being a friend. Killer song. Old people can be so entertaining. Especially when they misplace their meds or act like whores.

9.The Jeffersons

I live in Chicago, and I swear that this song was played in stereo at Grant Park the night that Obama was elected. Infinitely superior to the Diff'rent Strokes intro, this is the ultimate black guy oppression song. And Sherman Hemsley was a fricking genius. Also great was the racist portrayal of Native Americans at 0:41. Go racial progress!

8.Thundercats

It was a tough choice b/c I also wanted to include GI Joe and the Transformers song. But this is the best of the group. The song makes me want to go lift some weights or fight Mumra or kick a cat... or something. BTW, Mumra's "Oh-face" at 1:00 is priceless. This should be the #1 Google hit for the phrase, "Mumra's 'Oh-face'" now, right? I can't wait until someone googles that!

7.Dallas


The 70's disco backdrop is awesome! Great theme to a decent show. I really don't care who shot JR... but Patrick Duffy could still kick my bony ass and Victoria Principal is fucking hot. I wanted to include The A Team, but the Dallas song is a lot cooler (despite it being a weaker program). I'd also like to add that I lived in Texas during my medical residency and there are a lot more women there who resemble retarded Fraggle Rock rejects than those who compare to Ms. Principal (my super-hot GF being an obvious exception).

6.Growing Pains


I don't actually like this song so much, but the few guitar notes employed puts it over Family Ties as the "not funny sitcom" from the 80's that I will use here. Plus I dig the synths and percussion. If you have a GF or wife you can sing this one in harmony with them... although performing this action will likely result in you not having a GF or wife for very long. It's pretty cheesy. but I really like cheese. Particularly Gouda.

5.Cheers


Sometimes you want to go... where there are no sexual harrassment charges! And the condom machine in the men's room is broken! Yup, I've been to the real "Cheers" and it was kind of a craphole. And an expensive craphole, at that. As a gross aside, I'm always glad I came.

4.The Greatest American Hero


Believe it or not, George isn't at home! Please leave a message, at the beep. I also like how the "hot chick" role is played by Tom Selleck's inbred cousin.

3.Beverly Hills 90210


Say what you will about the narcissistic and shitty personalities on this show, the opening theme kicks ass. My favorite part is probably Brandon's faux arm pump at the beginning that is synched to the percussion. I wish I could do that walking down the street. Like, a cab is coming by and I just whip that arm up and "Duh, duh". Cool.
Did you ever notice there was never a black guy in this show? I guess they were just trying to make it realistic as to how Beverly Hills is in real life.

2.Ducktales


I love this shit, a-woo-hoo! I can hardly think of, a-woo-hoo! A better, a-woo-hoo! Opening TV song, a-woo-hoo! Oh wait... I can.... A-Woo-Hoo!

1.Sanford and Son


Man, Redd Foxx was sah-wheat! If this was put out on a CD tomorrow I would buy it. Or at least download it illegally. I loved this song as a kid and I love it today. Best. Song. Eva.

Any complaints or additions? Please let me know. Now, back to my particle physics and other important work. Like who ended up hotter:Jesse Spano or Kelly Kapowski? This is tough shit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fucking awesome

Rupert Roo said...

Thank you, positive reinforcement is a good thing :)